Tradition & innovation
Over 120 years of PASSION.
A lot has changed – but our watches remain both beautiful and accurate. Following the onset of the global economic crisis, the Union watch manufacture had to cease production in 1926, and in 1936 it was removed from the trade register. In 1951, all the remaining Glashütte watch companies were merged to form a state-owned enterprise known as VEB Glashütter Uhrenbetriebe (GUB).
The company was renamed "Glashütter Uhrenbetrieb GmbH" after reunification, and in 1994, it was privatised. 1997 saw the foundation of "Union Uhrenfabrik GmbH Glashütte/SA." as a subsidiary of "Glashütter Uhrenbetrieb GmbH".
UNION GLASHÜTTE becomes part of the Swatch Group.
In 2000, the world-famous Swiss Swatch Group AG bought out Glashütter Uhrenbetrieb GmbH and therefore also Union Uhrenfabrik GmbH Glashütte/SA. The Swiss group's plan was to reflect on the strengths of the traditional brand and to produce UNION GLASHÜTTE wristwatches that were back in tune with the spirit of their inventor and founder Johannes Dürrstein: "Watches which have everything to make them accurate, but nothing to make them more expensive“.